Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Journal #2

       After reading Manhattan Day School's, the school in which I am currently teaching in, philosophy statement I discovered a few aspects that resonated with me. MDS's philosophy statement states, "We are committed to educational excellence and the development of the whole child academically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, and socially." I really liked how they were able to concisely describe their child-centered viewpoint. Furthermore, I am a strong believer in the concept that school is not simply a place for children to succeed academically. Rather, a school should be a place in which a child is able to develop his or her full self and this is adequately reflected in MDS's philosophy statement. MDS's philosophy statement also describes the large emphasis that they place on establishing open communication between teachers and students. Although this concept is geared more towards the older age groups I greatly admire the level of respect that MDS holds for all of their students and faculty. It feels really great to be working for a school that places a large focus on the pivotal relationships between teachers and their students. 

       Although there is no explicit mention of Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) in their philosophy statement, MDS writes that they aim to provide effective educational programs in a nurturing environment. To me, this seems to align with the ideals of DAP in that MDS strives to provide the optimal learning environment to promote optimum development. 

       MDS's philosophy statement describes their student body and states, "Our student population comes mainly from the New York Metropolitan area and includes some international students." However, they make no mention of a concern for protecting and promoting cultural diversity or of adhering to anti-bias educational ideals. 

       If I could rewrite or revise MDS's philosophy statement I would make sure to include greater details on their teaching style and curriculum design for this seems to be missing currently. As a teacher in MDS I am fully aware of their desire to incorporate many Montessori materials in their classrooms. Therefore feel that teaching style is an important aspect that should be mentioned in their philosophy statement. I also would be sure to include a portion on the importance of anti-bias education and its integral role in all classrooms. Lastly I would add a sentence or two about MDS's concern for promoting communication between the parent body and the faculty. Parents play an essential role in their children's education and I feel it is important to include this priority in one's philosophy statement. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rivka! I agree about your additions--especially working with families! I'm sure it plays a role in the school, but it would be nice for them to include it in their overall philosophy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete